Thursday 4 December 2014

Mobile Technology and Learning


Smartphone

For many people, the smartphone is a way to stay connected and to have the latest gadgets, as well as having instant access to the news; music; Ebooks; a camera; email and countless other apps.  For me the smartphone is also a handy learning tool.  Most of the educational apps I use are available on other platforms (such as tablets), but I choose to use my phone for the convenience of fitting it into my pocket, and having it with me at all times.


My Favourite learning apps (photo: my own)
·         Podcasts: With this app I can listen to podcasts on any subject imaginable.  I have selected my favourites to keep in ‘My Podcasts’.

·         Lumosity: Brain training to keep my mind active

·         TED: This is the TED Talks app allowing me to find and watch (or save for later) any TED Talk video.

·         SSIW: As a Welsh learner, the Say Something in Welsh app helps me to develop my Welsh Language skills.

·         Music Tutor: This helps me to improve my music sight reading skills.

·         Learn Al by Udemy: Udemy is an online learning platform provided by experts.

·         Easy Bib: Scan the barcode of a book and Easy Bib stores the bibliographic information.  I used to email myself the list and paste it into my references list.  (This has been made redundant now that I have been converted to Microsoft Word’s auto-cite function!)

·         Translate: This is another useful app for my Welsh language learning, but it can be used for any language.

·         Evernote: I use this to make notes as they can be filed into categories.  With Evernote, I can paste URLs, pictures and any other information I find online.  Evernote can be accessed on any device.

·         JeFit: I included JeFit in this list because I use it as an instructional tool.  JeFit shows you how to properly perform workout routines, and tells you how they benefit you.

·         iTunesU: This is where I store recordings of university lectures from all around the world, including; A Romp Through the Philosophy of Mind - Oxford University, and A History of Children’s Literature – La Trobe University.

·         iBooks: With iBooks I can purchase (or download for free) from a huge collection of ebooks.  There is a collection called ‘Books for Teachers’ which includes books and other resources I wouldn’t be able to easily find elsewhere.

Drives

I often use Google drive, Dropbox or Evernote to keep notes and other information that can be access on any device.  This means I don’t have to take my laptop with me at all times, and it also allows me to share documents if required.  This is a huge advantage as my learning is not hindered by lack of accessibility.  The downside to these drives is that you require internet access.  Backing up information onto a humble flashdrive solves that.  Let the learning continue! 


Kindle
Yes, books have always been mobile...
(Photo: My own)

As a lover of books (the look, the feel, the smell...) I was hesitant to try an e-reader at first.  But in early 2011, after carrying a few paperbacks and a travel guide to Malta I decided enough was enough. When I first started using my Kindle, it was mainly for fiction and travel guides. It wasn't long before I started buying (or sampling) books for my MA and more recently, my PCET. Books have always been mobile, but with my Kindle I can carry more books than otherwise possible.  A library in my pocket! 

No comments:

Post a Comment